Regional Area: Louisiana All
Job Number: JN -052022-6638
CLS is seeking Stevedore Crane Operators for our client in Avondale, La! The Stevedore Crane Operator will operate all terminal equipment to safely and efficiently load/unload cargo from ships and distribute the cargo to the appropriate building as per the operating plan and instructions; Operate as a member of a team, responsible for coordinating information flow between each crew member and location staff/management in the loading/unloading of cargo.
Contract to hire opportunity for those who put their best feet forward!
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
• Operates ship gears, gantry & bridge cranes and all associated equipment to load/discharge several types of customer cargos safely and efficiently from ships and barges as per the operating plan and instructions.
• Operates equipment such as diesel or liquid propane forklifts, heavy pay loaders, and other support equipment associated with terminal support.
• Inspect and operate safely all assigned mobile equipment as required to complete unloading terminal work assignments, including excavator and FEL in the ship holds.
• Responsible for hoisting equipment and materials to repair and maintain terminal needs such as to move operating digging equipment to dig and move material such as scale, mud, rock and dirt or sand.
• Reports any unusual condition of equipment to Maintenance Manager; Responsible for checking equipment for damage or repairs needed and reporting information to team leader.
• Make regular inspections of the transport systems and perform minor maintenance tasks such as adjusting and lubricating equipment, cleaning, washing, descaling, testing, replacing filters, gauges, valves, hoses, and other minor maintenance as necessary to maximize port systems availability and reliability.
• Performs minor maintenance tasks such as repairing, adjusting and lubricating equipment, gauges, valves, hoses, and etc. as necessary to maximize machine availability/reliability and assist maintenance personnel as required.
• Monitor all pressures, temperature and data points on the HMI to ensure that they are at nominal operating level.
• Maintains and reports accurate records including beginning of shift work place inspections, shift logs and shift performance report at the end of each shift.
• Complies with governmental, state, and company certification standards.
• Performs rigging calculations and programming on equipment when necessary.
• Performs all duties assigned by the superintendent to make sure port operations continue without interruption.
• Ensure that safe crane operating conditions are met before and during operation.
Works closely, as needed, with flaggers when making lifts or rigging equipment or material.
Education, Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities Required:
• HS diploma/GED and previous crane experience preferred
• Friction and hydraulic crane experience is preferred
• Excavator or other heavy machinery experience required
• Ability to respond to issues quickly, safely and effectively in a fast-paced, stressful operating environment
• Strong communication skills, both verbal and writing
• Valid driver’s license and TWIC or ability to obtain a TWIC required
• Ability to work outside in all types of weather
• Must be available to work varied hours, shifts including days/nights/weekends/holidays as required
• Must meet physical, mental and dexterity requirements of the job including being physically able to climb and descend ladders and stairs up to 120 feet to access all levels of port and vessel operating equipment.
• Must be physically able to pull ropes for tying up ship/barges and utilize hand shovels and other tools for clean up
• Ability to work in most weather conditions and around heavy machinery, which can be dangerous at times
• Ability to work rotating shifts as determined by management
• Flexibility to adjust to changing shift work which may require early mornings, evenings and weekends
• Must meet “fit for duty” requirements upon job offer (pre-employment physical and drug test)
If your experience meets the qualifications listed, please apply now, and email a current resume to [email protected]com. A member of our Operations team will contact applicants with relevant experience and qualifications for the position.