TWIC – What is a TWIC and How to Apply
A Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) is an important credential issued by the United States Transportation Security Administration. It is required by many professionals whose positions afford them access to secure maritime facilities. These facilities include the following:
- Dockside Warehouses
- Port Customs Offices
Any professional whose job includes unaccompanied access to Coast Guard credentialed merchant ships requires a TWIC.
How to Get a TWIC
Getting your TWIC is a straightforward process. When applying, TSA will conduct a background check to determine the applicant’s eligibility. Apply for your TWIC through the following steps:
- Visit TSA.gov. The Transportation Security Administration has resources to apply online or in-person.
- Applicants can either apply online or complete the application process at their nearest application center.
- Schedule your appointment online or by calling 855-347-8371. Applicants can walk in to apply, but appointments take priority.
- Visit a Center. When you visit a center, you will be required to provide the required documentation, be fingerprinted, and have your facial photo taken.
- Required Documents include your current U.S. passport or driver’s license and birth certificate.
How Much Does a TWIC Cost?
When you apply, you will be asked to pay a non-refundable fee that is valid for five years. You can pay with a credit card, money order, company check, or certified/cashier’s check. As of 2021, fees include:
- New applicant: $125.25
- New applicant reduced rate: $105.25
- Eligibility for reduced rates depends on owning a driver’s license with a hazardous materials endorsement or a Free and Secure Trade card.
- Replacement card: $60
Check TSA.gov website for most recent pricing.
Who is Eligible for a TWIC?
The following people are eligible to apply for a TWIC:
- U.S. Citizens
- Lawful Permanent Residents
- Naturalized Citizens
- Nonimmigrant Aliens, Asylees, or Refugees with a lawful status
It is possible to be denied a TWIC if TSA determines through the background check that the applicant has either of these two ineligibilities:
- “Incomplete or false application information.”
- “Disqualifying criminal offenses and other factors.”
Fun Fact on TWIC: With a valid TWIC you are eligible for the TSA pre check line when flying anywhere within the United States. All you must do is enter the KTN (Known Traveler number) on the back of your TWIC in the lower left corner on your travel profile. Ask our operations personnel if you wish to know more on this benefit.
Search Job Listings at CLS!
With multiple locations and over 5,000 staff members consistently assigned to jobs across all industries, CLS is the preferred staffing solution throughout the Gulf Coast Region and the world. The phrase “We Can Do It” represents both a team mantra and a promise to our customers. Whatever you need, whenever you need it, Complete Logistical Services will make it happen. That’s why we say we’re “On the Hook” 24/7 for clients, employees, and contractors. Ready to get started with CLS? Call 504-266-2994 or visit our available Job Openings!